Wednesday 14 October 2009

House of Elegance

House of Elegance is a documentary filmed in a ladies' hairdressers in Austin, Texas.
This is another example of shoddy camerawork. Like Dry Clean Only, it is screaming out to me "Give me a tripod! For the love of god, someone give me a tripod!", and is so overexposed in places that I had to whip out my sunglasses.
Despite all this, I could not help but smile as I watched it. This is the most endearing of the films I have discussed so far, and beautifully demonstrates the bond between women as they have their hair cut and styled. It shows us how a trip to the hairdresser's is about so much more than hair. It's about the people and the gossip.
The highlight of this film is the look on one lady's face as she realises that her hair has been dyed "yellowish green". There is another lady who explains how she travels for ten hours from Oklahoma to have her hair seen to at the House of Elegance. Having seen this film, I would happily travel for ten days from my house in Bath, England to have my hair done there. So long as they had learned from the yellowish green mishap.
As much as this film made me smile by tapping right into my girlie side, I can't help but think that this was due almost entirely to the ladies featured rather than the work of the filmmakers. Amy Bench, who filmed and edited this, has apparently won numerous awards for this work. Good for her. Though I'm not sure why.

<

No comments:

Post a Comment