Wednesday 2 June 2010

Post-Production... and the viewers' response... gulp.

Due to some rather major health problems, I unfortunately missed out on a large chunk of the actual editing process.

However, I stayed in regular contact with the rest of the group to stay updated on exactly what was going on.

When I did manage to get to university, I watched the edited cut... and I have to say, I was blown away by Annabel's incredible editing skills. Yes, a lot had been cut out, but the time limit was eight minutes, so this was necessary. Her comic timing was absolutely spot on, making comments that were not even funny at the time absolutely hysterical through their positioning next to other clips, and the timing of cuts.

All it needed now was music, so I went home, turfed out all of my piano books, and settled down for a day of recording.

I had learnt a great deal from out last musical recording attempt (and the frightening 'Mr D'), and for Christmas had received a Tascam music recorder:


I used this to do my recording, rather than complicate matters by involving too many other people. The recorder gives immensely clear recordings that sound as professional as you can get with minimal editing needs.

I recorded an uncomfortable sounding jazz piece (we were looking for a pretentious sounding piece of music to go with the pretentious looking film noir scene at the beginning), and a couple of Mozart pieces to go over the Victorian parlour room scene and the end credits.

The music went down very well with the rest of the group, and sounded much clearer than I had thought during the recordings!

It simplified the whole process by using music that we could record ourselves, as we were not faced with copyright issues. We could use whatever music we felt was appropriate to us, without feeling limited to copyright-free websites where we may never find what we're looking for.

So....

The day of the 'grand premiere' came round very quickly - our tutor, Mike, had hired out the main auditorium of the Little Theatre, Bath, and all the films were screened.



Luckily, I was feeling just about healthy enough to make it to the event, and WHAT an event it was!

Dans L'esprit: The Vision (the title we decided on for our lovely little film) was received to booming laughter, rapturous applause, and the cherry on the cake was when we won a bottle of champagne for achieving second place on the viewers' vote - whatever grade we may get for it, this is enough of a reward for me! Having your final piece, that you have worked very very hard on, being laughed at so loudly (for the RIGHT reasons....!) is probably one of the most exhilarating experiences ever.

So, for your enjoyment, here it is.

Dans L'esprit: The Vision


Thank you for reading.

Over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment