Tuesday 2 March 2010

Choosing a script to make into a film...

I am ecstatic to say that we have a new member in our group! This new member is Katy, who is the very first friend that I met at Bath Spa University, and I know her to be an awesome and imaginative person, so the fact that she has joined the team fills me with joy!

We spent a good few days looking through all the scripts written by the people on our module in order to choose one to make into our next incredible masterpiece.

We eventually settled on a script called 'Treatment' involving a man who forgets to take his medication and goes insane. We knew it would involve a large amount of editing and re-writing, as some parts, such as the references to Schizophrenia, we thought were unsuitable for a short film intended to be a comedy.

We were also unimpressed by the original ending, so there was an extended discussion about the possibility of including a large chorus number for a humorous and unexpected ending. With two musical members of the group - myself and Josh - this seemed like a highly feasible option. As it was a black comedy, the obvious influence was the infamous and controversial ending to 'The Life of Brian' - one of the Monty Python masterpieces. For those of you poor unfortunate people who have never seen it, here is Always Look on the Bright Side of Life:


I already have a huge amount of musical and visual ideas floating around in my head....

I know from previous composing experience that it is best to work with a partner, to bounce ideas off each other, in particular if one is more experienced in a particular area (I know more about piano and classical vocal composition - Josh knows more about electric music and more popular stuff, so a combination of our 'talents' should be a new and interesting musical endeavour!).

I am already getting fired up about this project....


No comments:

Post a Comment