Monday 25 January 2010

Writing a (dun dun DUN)... SCRIPT.

The time had come.

We had made our first blockbuster movie, and now, it was time to move on to new things.

Writing our own scripts.

Task number one was coming up with ideas.

As a creative writing student, I have been taught many methods of coming up with ideas, from people-watching to writing down dreams, and luckily I was brimming with ideas. I do NOT believe in writer's block - there is ALWAYS a way to come up with ideas. It just so happened that I had one idea in particular that had been brimming under the surface of my skull for a number of months.

I had been wondering for a while how to get this idea on paper. It did not work as a short story. It certainly didn't work as a novel. It didn't work as a play, or as a poem. And as I was set with the task of writing a script for a short film, I realised that this was the perfect medium to write this piece.

The idea in question was about a student house that was attempting to kill its inhabitants. It was totally based on my experiences of student housing in Manchester, where my house did indeed try to kill me. If you know anything about Moss Side, you might understand some of the trials I faced.

Here is the area in question:

The script was also influenced by a little film that I included in one of my earlier posts entitled 'The Furniture'. Here is a different version of the same film (just for the sake of variation... us internet entertainers must keep our audiences riveted):




I wrote a list of all the little things that had happened in Manchester. The script was entirely based on real-life events (apart from the end of the script where the house actually collapses).

It was a tricky process writing in a new format - there are so many rules and guidelines for writing for film, but I think I managed it as best as I could.

We shall see when the mark from the first draft comes back...!

No comments:

Post a Comment